Reliability analysis in systems engineering involves the utilization of many engineering techniques to predict and quantify the probability that the system or components will perform its intended function during a specified period of time under stated conditions. Reliability-based design encompasses processes, tools and practices for designing reliability into systems or products.
RIMES focuses on identifying and or developing formal approaches for reliability analysis in the system-of-systems context (SoS). A significant challenge of reliability-based design within a SoS is determining the appropriate mix of components to meet a set of needs or provide a set of services. To address this problem, RIMES is interested in the development of methods for the optimal SoS allocation of resources/components. Moreover, when analyzing complex systems, not surprisingly, several objectives must be considered. Because the constituent systems are capable of independent operation, they may collaborate or compete. Therefore, RIMES focuses on developing new and practical approaches for solving and analyzing SoS optimization problems considering multiple objective functions, and the development of analytical frameworks for incorporating both data and expert judgments for projecting SoS reliability. RIMES takes into consideration reliability-based design under uncertainty and the development of methods to address SoS resiliency and vulnerability reduction.
Another area related to reliability analysis is replacement analysis which encompasses system upgrade factors. RIMES is interested in the development of algorithms to systematically and optimally upgrade SoS considering aging components and uncertainty including decisions about when to replace existing assets, when to add new assets, and when to upgrade assets with improved technologies.
- Quantitatively Augmented QFD-HOQ, Vivek K. Jikar, Elizabeth A. Cudney, Eric D. Smith, Kenneth M. Ragsdell, Kioumars Paryani, SAE Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference, 2007, Hollywood, CA, USA.
- Taboada, H., Baheranwala, F., Coit, D. & Wattanapongsakorn, N. (2007). Practical Solutions for Multi-Objective Optimization: An Application to System Reliability Design Problems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 92(3):314-322. Ranked 1st in Top 25 Hottest Articles by ScienceDirect.com
- Taboada, H. & Coit, D. (2007). Data Clustering of Solutions for Multiple Objective System Reliability Optimization Problems. Quality Technology & Quantitative Management Journal, 4(2):35-54.
- Taboada, H., Espiritu, J. & Coit, D. (2008). MOMS-GA: A Multiobjective Multi-State Genetic Algorithm for System Reliability Optimization Design Problems. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 57(1):182-191.
- Taboada, H., Espiritu, J. & Coit, D. (2008). Design Allocation of Multi-State Series-Parallel Systems for Power Systems Planning: A Multiple Objective Evolutionary Approach. Journal of Risk and Reliability (in print).
- Espiritu, J. & Coit, W. (2006). Customized Component Reliability Importance Measures for Electricity Transmission Systems. In Proceedings of the Industrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering Research Conference (IERC). Orlando, FLA.
- Espiritu, J., Coit, W., Prakash, U. & Ramirez-Marquez, J. (2005). Reliability Modeling of Electricity Transmission Systems: An Extension of Traditional Reliability Methods. In Proceedings of the Industrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering Research Conference (IERC). Atlanta, GA.
- Taboada, H., Baheranwala, F., Coit, D. & Wattanapongsakorn, N. (2005). Practical Solutions of Multi-objective System Reliability Design Problems using Genetic Algorithms. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Quality & Reliability (ICQR4), Beijing, China, August 2005.
- Taboada, H. & Coit, D. (2007). Multiple Objective Design Allocation Problems: Development of New Evolutionary Algorithms. In Proceedings of the European Safety && Reliability Conference (ESREL), Stavanger, Norway, June 2007.
- Taboada, H. & Coit, D. (2007). Recent Developed Evolutionary Algorithms for the Multi-Objective Optimization of Design Allocation Problems. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Quality & Reliability (ICQR5), Chiang Mai, Thailand. November, 2007.
- Taboada, H. & Coit, D. (2008). Development of a New Multiple Objective Prioritized Genetic Algorithm. In Proceedings of the Industrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering Research Conference (IERC), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. May, 2008.
- Taboada, H. & Coit, D. (2008). Development of a Multiple Objective Genetic Algorithm for Solving Reliability Design Allocation Problems. In Proceedings of the Industrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering Research Conference (IERC), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. May, 2008.